New graduates following their graduation ceremony

Graduation and Transcripts

Coronavirus: update on degree ceremonies running up to August 2021

Due to the ongoing impact of the pandemic, the University had to take the difficult decision to postpone many degree ceremonies that were due to take place in 2020, and up to August 2021. 

While the Government's COVID-19 restrictions are expected to be eased over the coming months, uncertainty over when large scale gatherings will be permitted to resume remains. Arrangements for ceremonies due to be held between September 2021 and May 2022 are under review, and further information will be made available, as soon as we can offer clarity to graduands. Please note that in absentia degree ceremonies are still taking place. The MA is conferred only in absentia. If you would like to book to graduate in absentia, please see the information below.

Senior Members

Former students who have not yet graduated can apply to graduate in person or in absence. Those who wish to graduate in person should contact the Academic Office at to be added to the waiting list. Current students have priority booking of degree ceremony places, and any remaining places are then offered to the waiting list. The Degree Conferrals Office will take into consideration preferred dates when allocating a degree ceremony place. However, please note that there is no guarantee places will be available on your preferred date. 

Historic Graduands wishing to graduate in absence should complete the Historic Graduand - In Absentia application form and return it to the College Academic Office. Degrees will be conferred in absence at the first available degree ceremony and degree certificates mailed shortly after the ceremony.

The Oxford Master of Arts

Following longstanding tradition, the status of Master of Arts is a mark of seniority within the University which may be conferred 21 terms after matriculation. This is not an automatic process and to obtain your MA you must apply. Senior Members who have already graduated with a BA or BFA degree are eligible to receive the Oxford MA. You are not eligible to take an MA if your undergraduate degree is an Oxford integrated Master's degree (MEng, MChem, MPhys, MMath, MBiochem etc.). The Master of Arts has no subject or class and is not an upgrade of the BA or an additional qualification. The nominals 'MA' should be represented in place of, not in addition to, the 'BA' in the holder's signature and on documents such as CVs.

The University charges an administrative fee of £40 (£10 admin fee plus £30 for the certificate).

It is a policy of St Hilda's College that the MA is awarded only in absence at a degree ceremony.

If you are eligible and would like to apply for your MA, please fill in the MA Degree Booking Form and return it to the St Hilda's College Academic Office. You will receive an email confirming the date of the ceremony when your MA will be granted in absence. At this stage you should make the online payment of the MA fee of £40. The MA degree certificate will be mailed to you after the degree ceremony. 

Academic Transcripts

The College is happy to provide transcripts to those who matriculated in 2006 or earlier. Please request your transcript from the Academic Office. For those who matriculated from 2007 onwards, please apply online via the University website.

If you just need evidence of having studied and resided at St Hilda's (eg for visa purposes) without needing a full transcript, the Development Office can provide a letter free of charge.