Gifts from UK taxpayers

St Hilda's College can reclaim the tax paid on all donations, whether large or small, regular or one-off gifts. Those who pay tax at the higher rate can get higher rate relief on their payments to charity.

They can claim this by writing to their own tax office or by entering details on their tax return. For further information, visit HMRC's website.

Transfer of Shares, Land and Property

When quoted shares and securities are transferred to the College, UK income tax relief can be claimed by the donor for the full market value of the gift at the time of transfer, in addition to relief on any existing capital gains tax payable.

This enables those holding shares with large capital gains to make a major donation to the College extremely cost-effectively.

Gifts from American taxpayers

American taxpayers can make a tax-deductible contribution in US$ to St Hilda’s via the American Friends of St Hilda’s. Cheques should be made payable to The American Friends of St Hilda's Inc. and sent to: The American Friends of St Hilda's, c/o Hemenway & Barnes LLP, 75 State Street, 16th Floor, Boston, MA 02109-1466.

If you have any enquiries, please contact Gioia C. Perugini by email or by calling 617 557 9777. Senior Members in the US can also make their tax-efficient gift online.

Alternatively, you can make a tax-deductible gift via Americans for Oxford.

Gifts from Canadian taxpayers

The University will provide an official receipt for the Canadian tax authorities.

Cheques should be made payable to 'The Oxford University Development Trust' and sent to the Development Office, St Hilda's College, Oxford OX4 1DY, UK.

Gifts from donors in China and Hong Kong

The University of Oxford China Office welcomes gifts in HKD, GBP and USD. Please see the University of Oxford China Office website if you would like to make a donation in another currency.

Gifts of more than HK$100 may be claimed for tax deduction purposes. On receipt of your donation, the Office will ensure that you are sent a receipt for Hong Kong tax purposes.

Full details on giving in China can also be found on the University of Oxford China Office website.

Gifts from donors in Europe and overseas

If you are a European resident, you may be able to maximise your gift through Transnational Giving Europe (TGE). This is a collaborative giving scheme offered by a partnership of European foundations.

It enables donors (both corporations and individuals) resident in one of the participating countries to offer financial support to non-profit organisations in other member countries. Beneficiaries benefit directly from the tax advantages provided for in the legislation of their country of residence.

Country-specific contact details for the scheme are available on the TGE website.

When making a gift, please specify that it should go to St Hilda's College.

More information about tax-efficient giving via partners of the University of Oxford is available on the University of Oxford Tax Efficient Giving Page.