Grants and Bursaries

The College has an extensive range of bursaries and grants for current students. A guide to applying for these can be downloaded below.

Undergraduate and postgraduate students are encouraged to apply for grants if their personal or study circumstances would benefit from them. The following grant applications (underlined below) are made online or on forms available below. Applications may be submitted in each term (the deadline is noon on Wednesday of Week 2) apart from Extra-curricular Grants that are Hilary Term only. The members of the Support & Travel Grants Committee are the Senior Tutor, the Dean, the Tutor for Graduates, the Bursar, and the Accountant. The Support & Travel Grants Committee meet in Week 4 of each term to consider applications.

Extra-curricular GrantsThe DD White Fund can help students to pay for sport and other extra-curricular activities. Awards are normally £50 or less. Applications are once a year in Hilary Term. Apply online at: (the form is open from Monday of Week -1 to 12 noon on Wednesday of Week 2 in Hilary term)

Travel for Research & Study Grants:  Travel for research and study awards range from £50 - £1000 (grants awarded to a student are unlikely to total more than £1,000 per year). Travel for research and study support is defined as necessary travel to visit libraries and archives; for fieldwork; clinical medical electives and overseas placements; and attending conferences, where a definite connection with the course of study can be demonstrated. The College strongly encourages student travel to continental Europe via train wherever possible, rather than by air. Specific grants are also available for internships in media and law. Apply online at: (the form is open from Monday of Week -1 to 12 noon on Wednesday of Week 2 each term)

Vacation Study Residence GrantsUndergraduate students are permitted to stay in the College during a vacation period for an important academic or welfare purpose. If a student has a legitimate academic-related reason to stay in College for a period between terms (including personal issues meaning that they cannot study at home), they should be able to apply for vacation study residence grants to contribute towards the additional cost of accommodation. Normally no student will be credited more than 28 nights in the year unless for exceptional welfare reasons. Priority is normally given to those in the year of their major final examinations. Apply online at: (the form is open from Monday of Week -1 to 12 noon on Wednesday of Week 2 each term)

Hardship Grants: St Hilda's has generous funding for hardship support for both undergraduate and graduate students. Hardship Grants can be made outside of the normal application dates. There are also funds available from the St Hilda's JCR and the University to help students who are facing financial hardship. Care Leavers and Estranged students (those studying without the support or approval of a family network) can also apply for an Care Leaver and Estranged student bursary of up to £1,500 per year through the University. Apply using the hardship application form (for funding from the College) or the JCR financial support fund application form (for funding from the JCR).

Book Grants: This grant is to assist first-year students (first-year undergraduates, and graduate students in the first year of a postgraduate taught course) with the purchase of course books up to a maximum value of £60. Eligible students may apply only once during their first year and the application may be made in any term of their first year. Apply online at: 

The Adams Bursary (£1,000): This is for final-year Oxford Bursary holders studying at St Hilda’s and St John’s who are in financial need. Oxford Bursary holders are contacted directly by Student Finance. Finalists from St Hilda's who are not awarded the Adams Bursary will be automatically considered for College-held bursaries.

Music Grants: Music students may claim grants of up to £220 per term (excluding travel) for music tuition lessons. A grant form does not need to be completed. For reimbursement, receipts should be sent to the Accounts Office and must be received during the academic year in which the expenses were incurred. Reimbursement will be made to the student, and the College will not make payments directly to Music tutors on behalf of the student.

Language Courses: offered through the Oxford University Language Centre. The College will pay £50 per student per year for a "fast track" language course at the Oxford University Language Centre upon completion. Students are required to provide a rationale related to their academic work. Reimbursement forms are available from the Oxford University Language Centre.

K O Morgan Fund (for History undergraduates): History undergraduates may apply to this fund for grants and travel bursaries. Successful applicants will be required to submit receipts of expenditure before payment can be made. Applications are assessed by Dr Hannah Smith. Apply online by noon on Wednesday of Week 2 at: