Schools & Outreach Programme
All in person school visits, tours, and events are currently cancelled due to developments with coronavirus (Covid-19). We look forward to welcoming schools and students to St Hilda's as soon as possible.
At St Hilda’s College we are committed to providing young people with the opportunity to study at a world class institution, regardless of background. To do this, St Hilda's has approached outreach with three main aims:
- Encourage students to achieve their best
- Inspire young people to apply to the University of Oxford
- Increase diversity
St Hilda’s is particularly keen to work with state schools and colleges to help students make informed decisions about higher education and applying to university, including the University of Oxford.
Oxford for the South East
The way that outreach is being delivered is changing and St Hilda's is now collaborating with other colleges to cover the South East. Our link areas have changed and we now cover both Surrey and Hampshire (excluding Portsmouth, Southampton, and the Isle of Wight). If you are a state school or teacher from these two areas and would like to be added to our mailing list, please email Emma Gregory.
Applying to university can be a daunting prospect and here at St Hilda's College, we want to make sure that every student has the right support and information. We have a number of visits and events available for students to attend:
Virtual school visits
Due to the current pandemic and restrictions surrounding COVID-19, in-person visits to St Hilda's College are not available. However, if you are a state school and are located in Surrey or Hampshire, virtual visits are available! The current virtual presentations are:
- Years 10-11 - University explained - this presentation is designed for those who have not yet started their A-levels. The presentation explores why you might choose to go to university, what it would be like to study at the University of Oxford, and investigates which subjects and grades you need to go to university.
- Year 12 - Oxford explained - this presentation is aimed at those who have started their A-levels and are starting to think about higher education. The presentation takes an in-depth look into what studying at the University of Oxford would be like, demystifying the application process, and how to work towards achieving your goals.
- Year 12 - Personal Statement workshop - this presentation is usually for those who have had the Oxford Explained presentation with their school. The workshop goes into more detail about the personal statement, gives some handy tips about what to focus on, and talks about what tutors are looking for.
If you would like to book a virtual presentation for you and your students, please complete the School Outreach Request Form. Bookings are available from March 2021 until mid-October 2021.
From mid-May to early June, we are hosting some taster sessions for those in Years 10, 11, and 12. We have a range of sessions, from sciences to humanities, from careers to courses, there's lots to explore! We hope you can join us!
Full details can be found here.
School visits to St Hilda's College
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, school visits are not available.
During the school year, visits are normally available from March until mid-October for school and colleges to come and visit St Hilda’s. A school visit includes:
|10:30am||Arrival & refreshments|
|10:45am||‘Oxford Explained’ (admissions presentation)|
|11:30am||Q&A with current students|
|12:15pm||Depart college – a visit to another college/museum may be available on request|
If you would like to book a visit, please email Emma, the Undergraduate Admissions and Outreach Officer.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, tours are not available.
If you are unable to visit the college during an Open Day, we offer individual tours around the college, subject to availability. We ask for at least 48 hours’ notice if you would like a tour. Please email Emma, to book or for more details.
If you are a state school teacher in Surrey or Hampshire (excluding Southampton, Portsmouth, and the Isle of Wight) and would like to join the teachers' mailing list, please email Emma. Members of the teachers’ mailing list are sent details of upcoming events from around the University and from St Hilda’s College.