Surrey Schools - St Hilda's College Partnership
The partnership offers twilight academic tasters and application information sessions in a rotating host state Surrey school, between 4.15–6.15pm, twice a year. Our first ever session was hosted by Howard of Effingham School in Leatherhead and was attended by YR12 students from over ten Surrey schools. Academic talks were delivered by Dr Stephen Wren, Associate Research Fellow in Chemistry , and Dr Daniel Bulte, Associate Professor in Engineering Science and Physics.
If you are a teacher from a state school in Surrey and would like to volunteer to host a subject twilight session of your choice, please contact Corinne Tomsett directly to begin planning the event together.
Corinne regularly visits state schools in Surrey and can deliver a range of talks, during the school day, to your students from YR9–13. Here are some examples of the talks Corinne can offer your students:
- YR9 Raising Aspirations: Thinking About University (and Oxford) - this is suitable for all YR9s and can be adapted for any year group above or below this key stage, if appropriate.
- YR10 Introduction to Oxford & The Super Curriculum - suitable for students beginning to show potential to apply to a top university and can be adapted for any year group above or below this key stage, if appropriate.
- YR11 A Level Options & University Courses: An introduction to Oxford - this talk is suitable for all YR11s thinking about post-16 courses or can be tailored to those showing clear potential of being able to apply to a Russell Group university.
- YR12 Oxford & The Application Process - for those expressing an interest and/or having potential to apply to Oxford.
- YR12/13 Personal Statement Writing Workshop - suitable for those applying to Oxford / Cambridge and can be tailored for all YR12s applying to university (June is a good time for this workshop!)
- YR13 Interview workshop –suitable for applicants to Oxford wishing to learn about and better prepare for the academic interview.
Corinne also welcomes invitations to directly support teachers guiding students to make applications to Oxford. Corinne is happy to attend teacher training days or conferences offering guidance on any/all of the following:
- The application process.
- The teacher reference – the essentials.
- How to offer students guidance and feedback on the personal statement.
- Relevant extra-curricular activity/work experience.
- The tests and interview.