Learn about the cedar trees at St Hilda's, the only college in Oxford to have three different varieties in its grounds.
The meadow is full of seasonal wildflowers including fritillaries.
Learn about the Quince Tree in St Hilda's Hall Garden with our Gardens Consultant, Walter Sawyer.
Our riverside walk outside South Building is always full of seasonal colour.
The wall flower bed at the end of Hall Garden has been developed as our Blossom Border, to honour the Japanese connection already present in the Prunus mume and hawthorn trees. We have added hydrangea, anenomes, daphnes, dicentra and wisteria.
A wildflower garden was added to the riverside border Hall Garden in 2020, to encourage more insects and bird life. This border is being fully developed in 2021/2022.
Our Suffragette Border in Hall Garden was created in 2018 to mark the 100th anniversary of the first women winning the right to vote. In the summer months the border is full of suffragette colours with purple and white plants, including asters, erigeron (the darkest of all dunkelstealles), penstemon (sour grapes), anenomes, and clematises. Some evergreen plants give year-round colour.
The Anniversary Building includes a new entrance to the College and Porters' Lodge. It provides more student accommodation, and teaching and social spaces, including the new Middle Common Room. The Roof Garden Suite has three meeting rooms and the Tower Suite has an observation room and a meeting room.
St Hilda's pavilion overlooks the River Cherwell. The auditorium has spectacular views. There is a bar and an outside bar terrace.
Thanks to a generous gift from the Stone family, our gym, fully equipped with St Hilda's-branded equipment, we opened our gym, for the exclusive use of St Hilda's students, Fellows and staff, in 2017.
We have our own punts' for use by College members and guests.
The Rose Garden was created in memory of Winifred Moberly, Principal from 1919-1928, by the Old Students’ Association. The bird bath in the rose garden is engraved with her initials, WHM. The garden was restored and replanted in 2011 thanks to a gift from Mrs Margaret Bliss (Massey Stewart, Biochemistry 1952).
Christina Barratt Building was opened in 2001. The building was funded by a legacy left by Professor Rosalind Hill, a graduate of St Hilda's. It was named in memory of one of her closest friends. Finalist students are given the first option to live in the Christina Barratt Building.
Garden Building is an additional residential block between South and Wolfson Buildings. It was designed by Peter and Alison Smithson and formally opened in 1971.
Wolfson Building was opened in 1964, thanks to a grant from the Wolfson Foundation. The building was formally opened by H.R.H. Princess Margaret. The Rt Hon Harold Wilson also spoke at the opening ceremony on 26 June 1964.
In 1920, St Hilda’s leased Cherwell Hall, a teacher training college, from Christ Church College. Cherwell Hall was originally built as Cowley Grange in 1879 for Augustus Vernon Harcourt, Christ Church don, model for the White Knight in 'Through the Looking Glass', and nephew of one of Gladstone’s great cabinet ministers – Sir Vernon Harcourt. The College finally acquired the house and grounds in 1949. The house was later remodelled to provide students’ and Fellows’ rooms and a Dining Hall and became known as South Building.
Dorothea Beale bought Hall Building, then called Cowley House, in 1893. Built in the 18th century, it is the oldest part of the College. Its spectacular foyer – Regency Square – is at the heart of the original building. The Kathleen Major Library and Archive is named after a former College Principal. A special garden is named after English Fellow, Anne Elliot. The Val McDermid Bar in the JCR, which opened in 2014, is named after our alumna. The Buttery, or snack bar, is named after Cynthia Watson.
This building commemorates the contribution made by Jacqueline du Pré, who was an Honorary Fellow of St Hilda’s. Opened in 1995, the JdP is Oxford’s first purpose-built concert hall since the time of Handel.