St Hilda's Gardens

St Hilda’s riverside grounds have a hallowed history stretching back to the Middle Ages. Edmund Rich, the first Oxford Don to be made a saint, used to wander through Cowley fields. Today, our gardens are still a haven away from the bustle of the city centre. The wildlife-rich grounds are full of year-round seasonal colour.

Our Suffragette Border in Hall Garden was created to mark the 100th anniversary of the first women winning the right to vote. Our new border adds colour and scent to a relaxed and quiet outdoor space for College members and guests. In the summer months, it is full of suffragette colours with purple and white plants, including asters, erigeron (the darkest of all dunkelstealles), penstemon (sour grapes), anenomes, and clematises.  Some evergreen plants will give year-round colour.

The wall flower bed at the end of Hall Garden has been developed as our Blossom Border, to honour the Japanese connection already present in the Prunus mume and hawthorn trees. We have added hydrangea, anenomes, daphnes, and wisteria. Our riverside walk outside South Building is full of seasonal colour.

Our rose garden was created in memory of Winifred Moberly, Principal of St Hilda's from 1919 - 1928, by the Old Students' Association. The bird bath in the rose garden is engraved with her initials, WHM. The garden was restored and replanted in 2011, thanks to a gift from our alumna, Margaret Bliss, née Massey Stewart, (Biochemistry, 1951).

St Hilda's College grounds in spring timeSt Hilda's College grounds in summer timeSt Hilda's College's riverside gardens in the summerSt Hilda's College grounds in autumn are full of seasonal colour.