We have our own punts' for use by College members and guests.
The Rose Garden was created in memory of Winifred Moberly, Principal from 1919-1928, by the Old Students’ Association. The bird bath in the rose garden is engraved with her initials, WHM. The garden was restored and replanted in 2011 thanks to a gift from Mrs Margaret Bliss (Massey Stewart, Biochemistry 1952).
Designed by Robert Potter, the Middle Common Room (MCR) for graduate students above the Porters' Lodge was built in 1974.
Christina Barratt Building is our newest accommodation building and was opened in 2001. The building was funded by a legacy left by Professor Rosalind Hill, a graduate of St Hilda's. It was named in memory of one of her closest friends. Finalist students are given the first option to live in the Christina Barratt Building.
Garden Building is an additional residential block between South and Wolfson Buildings. It was designed by Peter and Alison Smithson and formally opened in 1971.
Wolfson Building was opened in 1964, thanks to a grant from the Wolfson Foundation. The building was formally opened by H.R.H. Princess Margaret. The Rt Hon Harold Wilson also spoke at the opening ceremony on 26 June 1964.
In 1920, St Hilda’s leased Cherwell Hall, a teacher training college, from Christ Church College. Cherwell Hall was originally built as Cowley Grange in 1879 for Augustus Vernon Harcourt, Christ Church don, model for the White Knight in 'Through the Looking Glass', and nephew of one of Gladstone’s great cabinet ministers – Sir Vernon Harcourt. The College finally acquired the house and grounds in 1949. The house was later remodelled to provide students’ and Fellows’ rooms and a Dining Hall and became known as South Building.
Milham Ford was first mentioned in 1512 as a mill with a ford, allowing traffic across to Christ Church meadows. It was a school until 1938 and during the war the building was used for housing evacuated children and as an Air Raid Precautions post. St Hilda's acquired the building in 1958. It now houses students and Fellows’ rooms and since 1969, the College Chapel.
Dorothea Beale bought Hall Building, then called Cowley House, in 1893. Built in the 18th century, it is the oldest part of the College. Its spectacular foyer – Regency Square – is at the heart of the original building. The Kathleen Major Library and Archive is named after a former College Principal. A special garden is named after English Fellow, Anne Elliot. The Val McDermid Bar in the JCR, which opened in 2014, is named after our alumna. The Buttery, or snack bar, is named after Cynthia Watson.
This building commemorates the contribution made by Jacqueline du Pré, who was an Honorary Fellow of St Hilda’s. Opened in 1995, the JdP is Oxford’s first purpose-built concert hall since the time of Handel.