Life Stages – A Conference in Memory of Dr Jane Mellanby Hon FRCP
Conference in memory of Dr Jane Mellanby, Emeritus Fellow, 1938–2021
Many Senior Members will know the name Jane Mellanby. Jane was a much-loved tutor, mentor and friend at St Hilda’s College, with a career that spanned five decades.
On Saturday 30 September, the St Hilda’s Medical Society will be hosting a special one-day conference that honours Jane’s memory and is inspired by her particular interests in education, learning and neuroscience.
The theme of the conference is ‘Life Stages’ and the programme is as follows:
- 09:30 Registration and coffee (JdP Foyer)
- 10:00 Welcome from the Principal
- 10:10 Inaugural Jane Mellanby Lecture: Size is not Everything
Mr Lawrence Impey, Consultant in Obstetrics and Foetal Medicine, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- 10:45 Clinical Pathway Redesign - It's not Rocket Science
Dr Shelley Hayles, GP and Faster Diagnosis Clinical Lead, Thames Valley Cancer Alliance
- 11:20 Break
- 11:50 Stroke is treatable – Discuss
Professor Elizabeth Warburton, Professor of Cerebrovascular Medicine, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Cambridge
- 12:25 Pamela MacKinnon Lecture: Dance and Music Strategies for people with Parkinson’s
Dr Lucy Annett, Principal Lecturer in Biological Psychology, School of Life and Medical Sciences, University of Hertfordshire
- 13:00 Lunch (Pavilion)
- 14:15 Lack of Testamentary Capacity: a widespread but Unrecognised Problem
Professor Robin Jacoby, Professor Emeritus of Old Age Psychiatry, University of Oxford
- 14:50 Different Types of Learning in Research and Education
Dr Elena Svirko, Independent Research Psychologist and Statistician (to present via AV link from the USA)
- 15:25 Reports From the Field
Presentations from Medical Students’ Electives
- 16:30 Tea
- 17:00 The Future of Medicine at St Hilda’s (and beyond)
Professor Charlotte Stagg, Professor of Human Neurophysiology, University of Oxford, Director of Studies for Pre-Clinical Medicine at St Hilda’s College
Dr Catherine Swales, Consultant Rheumatologist, Director of Clinical Studies, University of Oxford Medical School
- 18:15 Drinks and Tributes to Jane Mellanby (Dining Hall)
Speakers: Dr Anita Avramides, Christina Nelson, Dr Susanna Blackshaw, Dr Katharine Beaumont, Dr Mary Harrington
- 19:00 Conference Dinner. Speaker Edward Impey (Dining Hall)
The conference has been approved for 4 CPD credits.
Booking deadline: Friday 15 September 2023. Booking for this event is now closed. Please email the Development Office for more information.
Accommodation and parking: For information regarding accommodation in College, please email email@example.com or call 01865 276888. Parking in College is only available for blue badge holders and must be booked in advance.
This is a fundraising event for the Dr Jane Mellanby Memorial Fund, which supports bursaries and Clinical Elective grants, in Jane's name, to benefit final year students in Clinical Medicine who wish to undertake electives in places within the UK or abroad where healthcare resources may be limited.