Accommodation and Food

College Housing

Accommodation for new graduates is allocated on a first come, first served basis once funding has been confirmed. The College owns a number of graduate houses and can offer rooms to nearly all first and second-year graduates at St Hilda’s who wish to stay in College accommodation. Many graduate students choose to rent privately. Unfortunately we do not have accommodation suitable for couples or families. 

Most of the graduate accommodation is located in the streets adjacent to St Hilda's, near to Cowley Road, which has a number of independent shops and restaurants, as well as two supermarkets. They are within 10 minutes walk of College.

The accommodation is spacious and attractively decorated. All of our graduate accommodation has well-equipped kitchens and communal areas. The bedrooms are priced according to size, location, facilities, etc. Rooms vary in size and, although most are very large, and they are priced accordingly. Scouts (cleaners) come to clean the rooms once each week, and empty rubbish bins and clean kitchens and bathrooms. They do not wash your dishes.

The types of facilities in the houses vary slightly according to which house/building you are in. Each room has internet access.

MCR (Postgraduate) House Bands - Prices 2019/20


Type of Accommodation


Length of Contract

Band 1 205 Cowley Rd, 33 ensuite
JMQ ensuite
£8,211 plus a compulsory catering credit of £70 per term  51 weeks
Band 2 25a Alma Place – all rooms
JMQ standard
£7,474 plus a compulsory catering credit of £70 per term  51 weeks
Band 3

19 Tyndale Road – all rooms

£6,812 plus a compulsory catering credit of £70 per term  51 weeks
Band 4 Alma Place – 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6 £6,273 plus a compulsory catering credit of £70 per term  51 weeks
Band 5 5 Alma Place – room 5 £6,094 plus a compulsory catering credit of £70 per term  51 weeks


University Housing

The University Accommodation Office offers graduate housing for single students, couples and families, and operates housing lists for rooms, flats/houses and shared houses for groups of students. Information about how to apply, availablity and rents is available on the University website.

Private Housing

Finding a house through an estate agent or rental agency offer a number of benefits: flexibility in type of accommodation, choice of location, and your own choice of housemates. Unfortunately, for those from overseas, or without housemates already lined up, this can be very difficult to organise. Contracts are usually for 12 months and cost about £1000 per month for three people and £1300 per month for four people to rent (water, gas and electricity bills not included). Prices out of town are considerably lower but require a bus or train ride into town and can make it harder to integrate into college/university life, particularly its social aspects. For those interested in this option, Oxford rental agencies and estate agents are the best place to start.


During term time, breakfast, lunch and dinner are all served in the College Dining Hall, Monday to Friday. There are snacks, sandwiches, tea and coffee available all through the day. At weekends, Saturday brunch and Sunday dinner are available. Formal dinners and special events are also held in the Dining Hall. You may also sign up for the formal dinners held at regular intervals during term-time. The Buttery (or snack bar), which is in the Junior Common Room sells toasties, bagels, crisps, chocolate, sweets and hot and cold drinks.


Dining HallPostgraduate Students