Graduate FAQs

What does the Tutor for Graduates do?

The current St Hilda’s Tutor for Graduates is Dr Kerstin Hoge. The Tutor for Graduates is appointed by the Governing Body to look after graduate interests; these include such matters as academic problems, accommodation, and grants for research expenses. She is available to see graduates on these or any other matters. If posting notes or forms to her at the Lodge, please also notify her by email to avoid any delays.

What is the role of your College Adviser?

There was information in your Welcome Pack about who your College Adviser is (otherwise ask the Academic Office – see below). Find out something about them here. College Advisers are glad to help with any problems, particularly those which you might not normally take to someone in your department, including: pastoral support - or directing you to appropriate persons for assistance - on personal or coping issues; discussing difficulties you may be experiencing in your department or faculty and/or with your supervisor; generally keeping an eye on your progress (although not acting as a second supervisor); and perhaps general advice on applications for research funding, conferences and seminar attendance, publication and career plans. You will first meet your College Adviser during your first term, and you are encouraged to contact your College Adviser as and when you need advice or help.

How can I see the college nurse or doctor?

The College Nurse, Mrs Caroline Smith, is available in College each day during term for general consultation as well as providing help on specific medical matters. Her times are listed on the Medical Help and Welfare webpage, which also provides information about the college doctors’ service.

Where can I find help with a welfare issue?

The College (and University) have a wide range of services available to assist with any problems. You can discuss this with your College Adviser, or go straight to any of the people or services listed in the Student Handbook.

How can I apply for Study and other College grants?

One of the key ways a college adds to your Oxford experience is by being the possible source of small grants to support your work (or for cases of hardship), which might not be available elsewhere. The range of College schemes are outlined on the grant applications webpage. Research and study grant applications are due by noon on Wednesday of Week 2 of each term – plan ahead as late applications are not accepted and you will need to have a supporting statement from your college adviser.  (Hardship applications can be made at any time). There is also a Book Fund for obtaining library books required by taught graduate students.

How do I get forms signed off, and do other administrative things?

The Academic Office (Room 27, South Building) deals with all issues regarding your enrolment and student administration, and is open for enquiries on normal working days 8.30am to 4.30pm. You can email enquiries to progression forms (linked here - which you will need later in your course) need to be supported by the College with a signature from the Tutor for Graduates.

What if there is a problem with my room?

All maintenance requests should be directed to the Buildings Office, or if it is more urgent, tell the Lodge (in person or ring 01865 (2)76884). All housekeeping and cleaning problems should be directed to Nicky Charles, Accommodation Manager. 

What is the role of the Dean and Junior Deans?

The current Dean is Dr Lorraine Wild and the Junior Deans are: Rachel Dlugatch, Anna-Maria Ramezanzadeh, and Mr Christopher Bennett.

The Dean and Junior Deans have a role in both general College discipline (see the Student Handbook) and in welfare (see above). The Dean and Junior Deans have “office hours” when they are available for consultation on welfare issues (see the Dean’s noticeboard in the Foyer of South Building).  The following are some issues related to safety and behaviour in College:

Where do I find information about having visitors to stay in College, hosting parties in College, security and personal safety in College, fire precautions, and other information about living in College accommodation?       

The Student Handbook states all the rules and your responsibilities in these areas, and how the College seeks to protect all its students and provide a safe living and study environment.

How else does the College help my research?

The College can provide some support for research seminars presented, or organised, by graduate students in College. Please approach the Tutor for Graduates on this. The College is encouraging the development of interdisciplinary research groups and the linking of graduate students into work taking place outside their normal fields of study. This often can spark great new ideas on how to approach fundamental questions in a research topic. Keep informed about these activities through St Hilda's News. Special notices will be sent to you.

What does the MCR do?

Apart from being a great place to socialise, and meet people outside your department, through a range of activities, the Middle Common Room (both a place and a term meaning all the graduate students in College) also organises research based activities (and a conference) for mutual assistance and encouragement of graduates in College. See details of the MCR here.

Who do I see about funding/money/bank issues?

Please see the Accounts Office in Room 10, South Building. To find out how to open a bank account see section 5 of the University's webpage for international students.

How do I get advice regarding a disability or special arrangements for examinations?

Students may disclose a mental or physical disability at any stage of their time at Oxford, but we urge you to do so as soon as possible so that we can help you to get the support you need. The usual procedure is for students to disclose their disability to the University’s Disability Advisory Service. This service then arranges any necessary assessments, and informs the student's college. Each college also has a Lead Disability Contact, and it is helpful if you make contact with this person as well. At St Hilda's this is Professor Lorna Smith, the Disability Fellow. Rebekah Unwin, the Academic Registraris the Disability Coordinator at the College. The College can write to the Proctors to request any adjustments that you may need for your examinations (or arrange these for College Collections) - contact the Academic Registrar. Further information is available in the Student Handbook.

How do I find out where things are in Oxford?

You can see a list here of the places students most need to find when they first come to Oxford.

How do I use the College Library?

All the information about using the College Library is available on Weblearn here. General information about the University libraries can be found here.

How do I receive mail?

Student mail is always put in your pigeonhole in the MCR. The Lodge will email you if a larger package or signed-for item cannot be placed in the pigeonhole.

Where and when can I eat in College?

The Buttery (which is like a snack bar) sells snacks like toasties, bagels, crisps, chocolate, sweets and hot and cold drinks. The bar serves crisps, chocolate and sweets. The Dining Hall provides more substantial meals. Battels include an amount of meal credits per term, which are put on your Bod Card.  You can afford to eat at the college dining hall quite often as the food is relatively inexpensive – around £4 for a 2-course meal. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all served Monday-Friday, and there are snacks, sandwiches, tea and coffee available all through the day, apart from a few hours a day for cleaning. Detailed meal arrangements, including about Formal Halls and how to book for them, are described in the Student Handbook.

How do I use College laundry facilities?

See the information in the Student Handbook.

How do I use College sports facilities (tennis/netball court, punts etc)?

You need to make a booking on the College Intranet, and then pick up a key (and receive additional information) from the Lodge. See also “College Grounds” in the Student Handbook.