Examination entries

Students who are taking exams that contain only compulsory core assessment units will automatically be entered for their examinations. These candidates will be sent a confirmation of exam entry before the end of Michaelmas Term.

If you are taking exams with optional assessment units, then you are responsible for correctly entering for your exams. You should consult the current edition of the Examination Regulations. If necessary, students should seek advice from their personal tutor, supervisor or department.

The Examination Schools will email all students with a reminder about entering for exams, and details on how to do so through Student Self-Service, at least a week before the deadline. If you fail to enter on time, the entry window will close and you will have to pay the University's late entry fee (currently £50).

You may view the examinations which you have been entered for on Student Self-Service. Further information on entry for examinations can be found on the University website

Late entries and change of options

With regard to late entries and/or change of options, candidates must apply for permission through the Academic Office. The fees which apply are set out on the University website. Please note that applications for late entries and change of options will not be processed by the University until payment has been received.

Alternative examination arrangements

All requests for alternative examination arrangements (e.g. extra time, use of a word processor, religious circumstances) must be submitted by Friday of Week 4 of the term preceding the examinations. The College must advise on all such applications, which should be made to the Proctors’ Office through the Academic Registrar. It is therefore crucial that you inform the Academic Registrar at the earliest opportunity so that needs can be assessed and appropriate arrangements can be discussed.

(a) Dyslexia and dyspraxia
Where a candidate with dyslexia wishes to request extra time and/or other alternative arrangements for examinations, the request must be sent through the Academic Registrar, together with a Summary Sheet completed by one of the University’s specially appointed Chartered Psychologists. Two rooms are provided at the Examination Schools: one for students permitted extra time; the other for those who have Proctors’ permission to use a word processor. Candidates with dyslexia will therefore take papers at the Examination Schools unless there are other additional requirements. Such candidates should report to the Reception Desk at the Examination Schools.

(b) Requests to take papers in College 
Where a candidate with a known medical condition would have difficulty in taking papers in the Examination Schools or at Ewert House, this condition must be discussed with the Academic Registrar as soon as possible. It may be possible to apply for permission for the student to take papers in College.

(c) Alternative arrangements in the main examination room 
Requests for approval of alternative arrangements in the main examination room (for example alternative desk, chair, cushion, food, medication including diabetes testing kits, asthma inhalers, and wrist/hand supports etc) should be made through the Academic Registrar.

(d) Religious reasons affecting attendance at examinations 
Candidates prohibited for religious reasons from taking papers on Saturdays or other special days should notify the Academic Registrar at the earliest opportunity. Notification should include information on the examination for which you are entering.

Ongoing permission for alternative arrangements

Please note that where the Proctors have given ongoing permission for alternative examination provision (extra time, use of a word processor, religious circumstances) there is no need to make any further request to the Proctors except where the examination will be taken in college, for which authorisation of invigilation arrangements must be made on each occasion.

You must take your permission letter with you into each examination. Ensure you keep this letter in a safe place as you will need to take the same letter with you to examinations in future years.

Candidate Numbers

Your candidate number can be found at the top of your individual exam timetable. It can also be found on Student Self-Service.

Preparation for Examinations

Very few people enjoy exams and most students experience some anxiety from time to time whilst revising and during the exams themselves. This anxiety can be helpful in motivating study and in improving performance, but very occasionally, it can lead to students feeling unable to perform to the best of their ability. You will find some helpful suggestions which may help you cope with revision and exams and with the anxiety they may cause on the University website and on the College website.

Past Papers

Past papers can be downloaded from the WebLearn website. You may find it useful when revising to work through recent past exam papers.

Behaviour after Examinations

The Proctors and the local police are concerned about public safety, disruption to traffic, noise and litter when crowds gather day after day to meet candidates after their examinations are over. It is fairer to the general public and to fellow students who may still be working in the examination rooms if these celebrations are deferred until students get back to their colleges. All candidates are therefore asked to discourage friends from meeting them outside the Examination Schools or other examination venues and to disperse as soon as possible after leaving any examination building. Misbehaviour will result in strong measures being taken by the Proctors and may also attract sanctions by the Thames Valley Police and City Council officers.  

Examination Results

You will receive an email from the University when your examination results are available on Student Self-Service.

Re-sitting Examinations

There is a fee for graduates re-sitting examinations; further information can be found on the University website. There is currently no charge for undergraduate students who are re-sitting examinations.

Illegible Scripts

Exam scripts which are returned as illegible have to be transcribed by a person approved by the Proctors and with an invigilator present: this will be done at the candidate's expense.

Failure in Examinations

It is the College policy to send down (expel) any undergraduate who fails a First Public Examination twice, unless there are very exceptional circumstances. Those who wish to transfer to another university will be given appropriate assistance with their applications.