SciPo 2018 - A meeting of Science and Poetry
Now in its third year, in 2018 SciPo will be broadly themed around the topic of Climate Change. Hear how contemporary poetry is responding to this issue, with guest poets Carrie Etter and Philip Gross, introduced by Jenny Lewis, reading and discussing their new work. Join researchers to consider how poetry, often seen as remote from the arid, high-tech world of science, can crystallise scientific ideas to inform and inspire, and read your own science-inspired poem to a sympathetic audience at an open mic session, alongside winners of the first St Hilda's Science Poetry Competition.
SciPo 2018 Poetry Competition Results
Judge: Jane Draycott
- 1st: Home Thoughts from the Red Planet, Frances-Anne King
- 2nd: Vital Signs, Lesley Saunders
- joint 3rd: Flash-flood/Quilt, Chris Poole; and Security Alert, Susan Wood
- Commended (in no particular order): Sea Change, Sasha Rasmussen; Gravity Anomalies, Rowena Warwick; Expect Extreme Weather, Pat Edwards; Deception Island, Catherine Faulds; The Ignorance of Fish, Afric McGlinchey; Unripe, Jemma Borg
- 1st: The Hunted, Imogen Phillips
- 2nd: Everything's Fine, Daisy Stillborn
- 3rd: Gone, Abigail Hawkesworth
Free places for St Hilda's College members. Book tickets.