2017 Gaudy Celebrations and Reunions
View photographs of the highly successful 2017 Gaudy here:
50th reunion (1967) https://www.flickr.com/photos/st-hildas/sets/72157686893082883
40th reunion (1977) https://www.flickr.com/photos/st-hildas/albums/72157686859545914
60th reunion (1957) https://www.flickr.com/photos/st-hildas/sets/72157686893351283
1971/2/3 reunion https://www.flickr.com/photos/st-hildas/sets/72157686893599613
Lyndall Gordon, University Challenge, Dinner and the rest of the Gaudy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/st-hildas/albums/72157686172799171
A special, live version of University Challenge pitting the recent, triumphant graduate team of Dr Daisy Dunn (Classics, 2005), Dame Fiona Caldicott (Physiology, 1960), Dr Val McDermid (English, 1972) and Adele Geras (Modern Languages, 1963) against another vintage team reuniting Gill Elliott (History, 1963), Dr Susan Bird (Chemistry, 1962), and Professor Heather Joshi (PPE, 1964), with their new captain Anne Morse (History, 1968). The session will presided over by none other than Bamber Gascoigne.
In keeping with the flavour of the heyday of ‘University Challenge’ and with the reunion groups invited up this year, the theme of the Gaudy weekend will be the '70s, with music, food, talk and entertainment. Dr Lyndall Gordon will speak on her first experiences of St Hilda's and the Senior Common Room with reference to her autobiographical work Divided Lives. An internationally renowned biographer, Lyndall first came to Oxford in 1973 through the Rhodes Trust and is now Senior Research Fellow at St Hilda’s College.
In addition to an address from the Principal, the architects creating the designs for the new College buildings have been invited to come and present their ideas and creative vision for this vital project.
Those who matriculated in 1957, 1967, 1971, 1972, 1973 and 1977 are invited to a special meal with their year group (partners are welcome).
Friday 15th September
- 6.30pm - 8pm Buffet supper (non reunion)
- 7pm for 7.30pm 50th Reunion Dinner (1967)
- 7.30pm for 8pm 40th Reunion Dinner (1977)
Saturday 16th September
- 10am Gaudy Registration opens with refreshments
- 10.30am Dr Lyndall Gordon 'Blunders in Wonderland: A foreigner’s arrival at St Hilda’s in 1973’. An internationally renowned biographer, Lyndall first came to Oxford through the Rhodes Trust and is now a Senior Research Fellow. She will speak on her experiences of College life in the '70s with reference to her autobiographical works.
- 12pm for 12.30pm 60th Reunion Lunch (1957)
- 12.30pm for 1pm 1971/72/73 Reunion Lunch
- 1pm Buffet Lunch (non-reunion)
- 3pm College News: Discussion with the Principal, with a guest presentation from our award-winning architects, Gort Scott, who will share their vision for the site and the latest designs for the front of the College - a central part of our 125th Anniversary Campaign "Shaping the Future".
- 4.30pm University Challenge: Fresh from their glory in the Christmas tournament the winning team of Dr Daisy Dunn (Classics, 2005), Dame Fiona Caldicott (Physiology, 1960) Dr Val McDermid (English, 1972) and Adele Geras (Modern Languages, 1966) will reunite for the day and take on a truly vintage team partly comprised of the 1966 ‘golden’ team. Our quizmaster will be none other than the original and the best, Bamber Gascoigne.
- 6pm Chapel Service of Thanksgiving
- 6.45pm Drinks Reception
- 7.45pm Gaudy Gala Fundraising Dinner for Senior Members and guests. Our after dinner speaker, the novelist and poet Adele Geras, will entertain us with her backstage insight into University Challenge with ‘Buzz First, Think Later!’
- 10.30pm Second desserts. Top Of The Swots: an Oxonian quiz for all, presided over by Team Captain turned quizmistress Val McDermid.
Dinner dress code: black tie
Book here. Please note that a refund for cancelled tickets can be requested no later than 1 September 2017.